Skip to main content

This is real now

It is starting to sink in that I have a year ahead of me. Through the event of working my first work-week in a high school setting, it occurs to me that this is my first real job. My commitment is expected to be more than the months of summer. I have a year in this position, and with that, I’m feeling something between exhilaration and terror.

The exhilaration is that I am working with Free Spirit Media. This educational setting is one of my dreams. In it, youth are not taught as objects into which information must be banked, but rather creative instruments that can be enabled by way of handing over cameras and basic skill sets. One of the jargons that I hear commonly in this community of media educators is “youth voice,” and it reminds me that the very basis of our teaching theory will be continually be based on the idea that education is meant to be empowering. I find myself in a role where my job is to hand over the camera and skills, and then guide youth to be both creative and reflective, a precious combination that is at the center of leading youth (especially structurally disadvantaged youth) to a place of learning their deserved power to be subjects of the world around them. It’s already very obvious to me why my goal, similar to other FSM staff, is to facilitate “youth voice,” and also to judge my educational successes based mainly on this crucial criteria.

While I am so inspired, I feel also some pangs of panic. I still feel new, and I realize that I basically will be pushing to stay just one step ahead of the students for the first half of this year: hence the panic. It’s a rather awkward place to be, but I guess that’s the life of a first year teacher.

What’s more is that I realize the huge transition of community that I’m undergoing right at this moment. The good news is that I’m learning a lot about myself. The challenge, however, is that I’m gradually understanding how dependant I am on my home base community. I already see more clearly that I define myself by the people around me, for better or for worse, and after having such a close-knit group at Willamette, I’ve had to face the ‘fish-out-of-water’ reality that has set upon me in Chicago. For example, its weird right now to concretely put my finger on my core sense of humor, how I act around people, my spiritual needs, how I dress, and what I do for fun. Basically just some pretty funny feelings of being slightly lost have come up as a find myself in this whirlwind of newness that is occurring while my community and best friends are not right by my side anymore. I guess some people say the year after college often has a natural outcome of redefining oneself, and I’m beginning to have insight as to what they may be talking about. Though I must admit, I thought it would be more ‘challenge by choice’ rather that this automatic space in which I find myself.

So basically, there is so much going on! I hope this helps you to know me better. It’s still so early in my time here, but then again, so much is happening so fast in each day, and for that reason I feel pretty resolved to pay attention and write about it. I also have some cool reflections about how my ultra-urban experience in my neighborhood is the most community friendly out of anything that I ever experienced in Boise, Salem, or Seattle. Isn’t that interesting? Also, I notice that it’s class related because community doesn’t look the same in Blake’s neighborhood. Interesting, right? It’s a surprise that I’ll be enjoying immensely though, I can already tell! And also, there is so much going on in this city. Free Jazz Fest this weekend, free Andrew Bird concert at Millennium park on Wednesday, and then a bloc party concert coming up with Ratitat, Neko Case (my two-door-down neighbor, did I mention?), and this popular Chicago punk marching band (with my upstairs neighbor, crazy, everyone around me is artsy and famous. So bizarre, I love it!), ALL IN THE SAME NIGHT. I hope I go.

I hope I stay centered. I hope life keeps interesting and all these thoughts continue to be meaningful and life-giving. Thanks for listening. B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week in Chicago: (new intersections, right?)

One week ago today, myself and my three housemates moved into our new lives in Chicago. In the elapsed time, it’s actually become difficult to think of much that hasn’t happened. In the course of our busy week, we have moved into an apartment that started off a disaster (cabinets pulled, sinks on the floor, drywall-dust covering the floors), tapped into new social communities with past LVC volunteers, gotten to know our neighborhood, started our new jobs, picked up our local organic vegetables CSA share (yum), attended a movie-at-the-park, biked all over the city, I saw my brother Blake, and also saw my old housemate Jacob Swenson, went back to work, realized that I’ll actually be the one teaching tomorrow, and lastly, I learned how to bake bread (it’s rising right now). Basically I think they say, “he hit the ground running” for occasions like this. In this current moment, school is probably the biggest deal to me. During the first two days in the school, I’ve more or less laid low

a place of disconnection

My goals seem so impossible. While I tell myself to think well of people during my 6 hour shift, it is difficult to maintain a positive outlook amidst the psychological violence that Americans unconsciously commit to people in service careers such as mine. Yesterday I came home partially destroyed from the judgmental looks for very inconsequential mistakes, from the non-responsiveness to questions such as "how are you?", from the always time-crunched and fragmented communication that happens between co-workers. Yet this is the day to day world in the service industry - both in my experiences as well as in service professions far beyond coffee service. Still, it is in this environment I will continue to promise myself to listen, love, and pay close attention. It will never cease to amaze me how many people are blatantly able to ignore such a very simple question of greeting. Yet, the words, "How are you?" get ignored more times than I can count. "Yeah, can I get

Creativago

It seems to me like time moves so fast lately. These days, as I watch it whiz by, I’ve been engulfed with constant thoughts around the subject of art, and so my mind is constantly moving. I notice that I feel particular parts of a creative self surface within me. In a word, I could say that it’s been exhilarating to be in the company of artists when I’m in my work setting. Suddenly, I don’t feel strange to want to dialogue about our student’s need to have a “creative space” [physically] in which to do work, as such conversations are commonplace in the work setting full of fellow artists. As it is, I join with others in the belief that it is a basic human need to express yourself and be empowered to think in ways that extend beyond the everyday. I have been recently enlightened to realize that creativity is like a muscle. I can look back in my own life and remember the times that I was "physically fit" in this regard: early childhood, my summer at the poetry camp, ski da