Skip to main content

A New Racial Autobiography

My racial autobiography, 2008-2009:

In the fall of 2008, I moved from Salem, Oregon to Chicago, Illinois. There, I started work in the all-black setting of North Lawndale College Prep High School. The first black person I started to see daily was Joe Berry, who was the tech coordinator at Free Spirit Media. He graduated high school some 6 years back at NLCP, and was deeply connected with the community in North Lawndale. I remember feelings of wanting to talk to him more about race relations (having studied it so much in college) but I felt like such an infant all over again. After all, I was recognizing that here I was making mental note of the 'fact' that I was building a relationship with someone who was culturally black. So, time went on and I made a few good moments of connection over chicken that he would bring in now and then. Though, I remember being jealous that last years volunteer, Jesse, had such a good relationship with him and that the two of them could talk openly about race. This was perhaps what I aspired to have the comfort and competence to do.

Before long, the first trimester was over, and Elizabeth, Jesse and I said goodbye to Joe and moved our location to the other campus of the same high school. Over there, we were right across the hall from Johnita and Shaun, both black, and I had high hoped of reaching across the cultural divide over there. Not so much though, at least not in the first 10 weeks, where my daily interactions included the awkward repetitive phrases of "Hi Shaun, hi Johnita, how are you?" Each next day that I said the same thing, I felt a little bit funnier that I had no more to really be social about. Then, one day Johnita and I went on some errands together, bonded over our common struggles and some good music, not to mention our shared happiness talking about family and small children. From that point on, we suddenly started to recognize that we enjoyed seeing each other. Simultaneously I realized that I could say whats up to Shawn with a little more confidence and welcome.

All the while, I look around at other white people and conclude that I am the only one who goes through these thoughts, and awkward distances with my peers of another color and neighborhood and cultural background. I see myself as the only one feeling like there are barriers, and it was (is) an isolating place indeed. Every day, now that I am at 8 months, is less isolating than the last. I just want to keep going, too, and keep coming out of my shells to the point where I feel the equality of my relationships with people of color.

With the students I started with the most rockiness. I had to ask them to repeat things, and again had so many of the same conversations over and over. I was in a routine, not genuinely friendly. Now I give an entirely new something, as it is the kids for which I show up each day to connect with. It is because of how wonderful the kids are that I never want to go anywhere else, or relate to young people who I don't have the added reward of sharing love despite crossing racial and cultural barriers. And it's only getting better; I'm getting more relaxed and comfortable in each day I spend at the school.

With a love crossing from a place of disconnection to a place of genuine connection comes also the possibility of much deeper hurt. It is at times such as learning that K got held up by a 12 year old, and that C lost her older brother to gun violence, and M was there when the three young men drowned, P is having her child in a matter of months, and W might be hanging to his high school education by a thread. It is a full load to bear, and I hardly have the life experiences that give me a clear relation to many of the things that these teenagers face in their ordinary growing-up. Sometimes, I just need to sit ad I guess write about it, because the racial barriers are real in consequence here. My color and class and culture grew me up so far away from any of these kinds of stories. Still, now I find myself connected. And I wonder if I'll never see life in its full human completion if I ever snap back to just relating to white sheltered privileged life again. I feel that my own humanity is opened by being connected to life experiences that don't share the shelter. I want to relate to it, not to be a voyeur, but because each day I am there is a day's progress to be able to be there enough to care genuinely for more than just my own race.

Maybe this is how my anti-racism has reared its head. Maybe it is through knowing that I can be white and yearn for connection outside of my limiting and self-glorifying culture. I think that I still give my white issues far to little attention, but already my racial autobiography has widely grown to a form of inter-cultural relationships. For these I am so thankful. Its going to be hard to leave especially the all-black community at school, but I'll still keep faith that there is more in store for me in Seattle. Perhaps not getting the job at University of Puget Sound was God saying, "hey Brandon, don't settle in with the white crowd quite yet, you still have a lot to learn if you want to understand what it is to be an anti-racist."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week in Chicago: (new intersections, right?)

One week ago today, myself and my three housemates moved into our new lives in Chicago. In the elapsed time, it’s actually become difficult to think of much that hasn’t happened. In the course of our busy week, we have moved into an apartment that started off a disaster (cabinets pulled, sinks on the floor, drywall-dust covering the floors), tapped into new social communities with past LVC volunteers, gotten to know our neighborhood, started our new jobs, picked up our local organic vegetables CSA share (yum), attended a movie-at-the-park, biked all over the city, I saw my brother Blake, and also saw my old housemate Jacob Swenson, went back to work, realized that I’ll actually be the one teaching tomorrow, and lastly, I learned how to bake bread (it’s rising right now). Basically I think they say, “he hit the ground running” for occasions like this. In this current moment, school is probably the biggest deal to me. During the first two days in the school, I’ve more or less laid low

a place of disconnection

My goals seem so impossible. While I tell myself to think well of people during my 6 hour shift, it is difficult to maintain a positive outlook amidst the psychological violence that Americans unconsciously commit to people in service careers such as mine. Yesterday I came home partially destroyed from the judgmental looks for very inconsequential mistakes, from the non-responsiveness to questions such as "how are you?", from the always time-crunched and fragmented communication that happens between co-workers. Yet this is the day to day world in the service industry - both in my experiences as well as in service professions far beyond coffee service. Still, it is in this environment I will continue to promise myself to listen, love, and pay close attention. It will never cease to amaze me how many people are blatantly able to ignore such a very simple question of greeting. Yet, the words, "How are you?" get ignored more times than I can count. "Yeah, can I get

Creativago

It seems to me like time moves so fast lately. These days, as I watch it whiz by, I’ve been engulfed with constant thoughts around the subject of art, and so my mind is constantly moving. I notice that I feel particular parts of a creative self surface within me. In a word, I could say that it’s been exhilarating to be in the company of artists when I’m in my work setting. Suddenly, I don’t feel strange to want to dialogue about our student’s need to have a “creative space” [physically] in which to do work, as such conversations are commonplace in the work setting full of fellow artists. As it is, I join with others in the belief that it is a basic human need to express yourself and be empowered to think in ways that extend beyond the everyday. I have been recently enlightened to realize that creativity is like a muscle. I can look back in my own life and remember the times that I was "physically fit" in this regard: early childhood, my summer at the poetry camp, ski da