Skip to main content

First Week in Chicago: (new intersections, right?)


One week ago today, myself and my three housemates moved into our new lives in Chicago. In the elapsed time, it’s actually become difficult to think of much that hasn’t happened. In the course of our busy week, we have moved into an apartment that started off a disaster (cabinets pulled, sinks on the floor, drywall-dust covering the floors), tapped into new social communities with past LVC volunteers, gotten to know our neighborhood, started our new jobs, picked up our local organic vegetables CSA share (yum), attended a movie-at-the-park, biked all over the city, I saw my brother Blake, and also saw my old housemate Jacob Swenson, went back to work, realized that I’ll actually be the one teaching tomorrow, and lastly, I learned how to bake bread (it’s rising right now). Basically I think they say, “he hit the ground running” for occasions like this.

In this current moment, school is probably the biggest deal to me. During the first two days in the school, I’ve more or less laid low in Elizabeth’s (lead teacher) courses. Basically, I’m trying to get a feel for how I should and shouldn’t present myself in front of everyone. I notice that I’m really questioning myself and my confidence as a authoritative figure in a video production classroom, which is a stressful event in itself. With reflection, it is becoming more obvious to me that the students’ mature age combined with their cultural difference from myself is the intimidating combination that causes me the stress. Tomorrow, when I ride my bike past the several neighborhoods to the south and west, I need to remember that even though I come from a world apart, I can still take the seat as a teacher. After all, they don’t know more than I do about video production, at least not these sets of kids.

Still, I notice that my summer backpacking job with the Asberger’s kids was simply laid out for me to feel successful. It always seemed like I had the responsibility and capabilities to get them both through and out of the backcountry. With video, I doubt my leadership more. So I struggle forward right now, knowing that I need to learn how to see myself as part of a team of educators that will without a doubt succeed at relaying good and useful knowledge to these kids at North Lawndale. Right now, I may not know the most about video, but then again I didn’t know the most about backpacking and Asperger’s syndrome when I set off on my summer job. It’s definitely my hope that I will rise to this new occasion in a similar way as what happened on the summer excursion.

I’m sure I’ll have more to write in another week. Not to mention probably another thousand un-job-related items… like moving in a new gas stove - TBA. On that note, I have a stomach that needs the attention of the newly baked bread.

Comments

Unknown said…
Brandon, You're on your way. Your confidence will come as you gain experience in this whole new arena of teaching. If you don't feel totally confident yet, let me say for you that I have really no doubt that you are going to be a terrific teacher. You have the temperament, the character, the passion and the skills. Those are concrete attributes! Breathe deeply when you can, stay real, and keep reminding yourself that you can do this! Lots and lots of love... Your fan,
Nancy

Popular posts from this blog

a place of disconnection

My goals seem so impossible. While I tell myself to think well of people during my 6 hour shift, it is difficult to maintain a positive outlook amidst the psychological violence that Americans unconsciously commit to people in service careers such as mine. Yesterday I came home partially destroyed from the judgmental looks for very inconsequential mistakes, from the non-responsiveness to questions such as "how are you?", from the always time-crunched and fragmented communication that happens between co-workers. Yet this is the day to day world in the service industry - both in my experiences as well as in service professions far beyond coffee service. Still, it is in this environment I will continue to promise myself to listen, love, and pay close attention. It will never cease to amaze me how many people are blatantly able to ignore such a very simple question of greeting. Yet, the words, "How are you?" get ignored more times than I can count. "Yeah, can I get

Creativago

It seems to me like time moves so fast lately. These days, as I watch it whiz by, I’ve been engulfed with constant thoughts around the subject of art, and so my mind is constantly moving. I notice that I feel particular parts of a creative self surface within me. In a word, I could say that it’s been exhilarating to be in the company of artists when I’m in my work setting. Suddenly, I don’t feel strange to want to dialogue about our student’s need to have a “creative space” [physically] in which to do work, as such conversations are commonplace in the work setting full of fellow artists. As it is, I join with others in the belief that it is a basic human need to express yourself and be empowered to think in ways that extend beyond the everyday. I have been recently enlightened to realize that creativity is like a muscle. I can look back in my own life and remember the times that I was "physically fit" in this regard: early childhood, my summer at the poetry camp, ski da