Skip to main content

Creativago



It seems to me like time moves so fast lately. These days, as I watch it whiz by, I’ve been engulfed with constant thoughts around the subject of art, and so my mind is constantly moving. I notice that I feel particular parts of a creative self surface within me. In a word, I could say that it’s been exhilarating to be in the company of artists when I’m in my work setting. Suddenly, I don’t feel strange to want to dialogue about our student’s need to have a “creative space” [physically] in which to do work, as such conversations are commonplace in the work setting full of fellow artists. As it is, I join with others in the belief that it is a basic human need to express yourself and be empowered to think in ways that extend beyond the everyday.

I have been recently enlightened to realize that creativity is like a muscle. I can look back in my own life and remember the times that I was "physically fit" in this regard: early childhood, my summer at the poetry camp, ski days with the camera out, making a music video and bike movie in my high school video class, creative essays in Writing Workshop with Professor Moon, and making poetry in Imaginative Writing with Jim Bertilino. Each of these situations placed me in a creative space, and let me dwell there for a little while. And each time it felt good.

Now I’m there again. Even more unique, I’m there in a more fully immersed way than I’ve ever before managed. After all, I spend probably 10 hours of each day thinking about creating, or, how to get others to create while learning, growing, and enjoying the process. Most recently, I’ve motivated myself to try on my own artistic projects. I’ve taken on the chance to get out there with my own video camera, talking to people on the street after work, and then bringing my shots and talks home and arranging them on my computer through Final Cut software (you may have watched it at the top of this entry). And indeed, I’m remembering that through the constant actions of thinking creatively, and looking upon the world for its artful possibility, everything around takes on a different look. Recently, the world has seemed more rich and interesting to me.

This, in a big way, helps me find a home in the urban environment of Chicago. There are not mountains to gaze upon, but gradually I find that there are people and city movements here that are in fact still beautiful. And that when properly looked upon and interacted with, a similar sort of soul-fulfilling gaze can be creatively developed.

So there is good news here in Chicago, which is that my mind is occupied in pleasurable ways. How could I be bored in such a creative space as this? As a result, time flys, the youth voice develops at North Lawndale College Prep, and I feel fulfillment as I connect back into something deep within me so that inner-creativity gets exercise and opportunity again, and this time in a very big way!

Take care, ya’ll.

also... watch "Hope in America" on the video bar. Its what two of NLCPs star students filmed at the DNC in Denver last month. When finished, it won an Illinois-wide video competition!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week in Chicago: (new intersections, right?)

One week ago today, myself and my three housemates moved into our new lives in Chicago. In the elapsed time, it’s actually become difficult to think of much that hasn’t happened. In the course of our busy week, we have moved into an apartment that started off a disaster (cabinets pulled, sinks on the floor, drywall-dust covering the floors), tapped into new social communities with past LVC volunteers, gotten to know our neighborhood, started our new jobs, picked up our local organic vegetables CSA share (yum), attended a movie-at-the-park, biked all over the city, I saw my brother Blake, and also saw my old housemate Jacob Swenson, went back to work, realized that I’ll actually be the one teaching tomorrow, and lastly, I learned how to bake bread (it’s rising right now). Basically I think they say, “he hit the ground running” for occasions like this. In this current moment, school is probably the biggest deal to me. During the first two days in the school, I’ve more or less laid low

a place of disconnection

My goals seem so impossible. While I tell myself to think well of people during my 6 hour shift, it is difficult to maintain a positive outlook amidst the psychological violence that Americans unconsciously commit to people in service careers such as mine. Yesterday I came home partially destroyed from the judgmental looks for very inconsequential mistakes, from the non-responsiveness to questions such as "how are you?", from the always time-crunched and fragmented communication that happens between co-workers. Yet this is the day to day world in the service industry - both in my experiences as well as in service professions far beyond coffee service. Still, it is in this environment I will continue to promise myself to listen, love, and pay close attention. It will never cease to amaze me how many people are blatantly able to ignore such a very simple question of greeting. Yet, the words, "How are you?" get ignored more times than I can count. "Yeah, can I get